The following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to Focus College regarding admissions and applications. If your question is still left unanswered please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Choose Focus College?
- Qualified staff and instructors who want to help you to reach your education goals
- Student Support staff who can make your transition into post-secondary positive and memorable
- Small class sizes meaning students get more interaction with their instructors
- Affordable fees compared with public universities and other private colleges
- SQA Approved HND Programs which a student can transfer to any SQA progression partner to earn their degree after completing two years of school at Focus College
- Continuous Education programs which allow a student to start the course as soon as they are ready, and we can work with you to determine a schedule that works
- Get to live in beautiful British Columbia, and have the option to choose Kelowna or Surrey
Does Focus College Accept International Students?
Yes! Focus College loves to accept students from all over the world. We do not discriminate and welcome students with their own cultures into our community.
I don't have an IELTS Band Score, can I still apply to Focus College?
For all of our HND programs we do require students to have an IELTS level of at least 6 before starting the program. Please download a copy of course catalogue for more information regarding course language requirements.
What IELTS Band Score is Required?
IELTS band scores depend on the program you are applying for. Please download a course catalogue to find exact band score requirements.
What is the Application Process for International Students?
The Application process for International students has 3 important steps which must be followed.
1) Submitting your application:
Your application must contain all of the following details. Please make sure to send all of this information in one email, in PDF format, with your name and birth date (the student’s) in the subject line
- A completed Focus College Application form
- All of your educational supporting documents (report cards, certificates, etc)
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of IELTS (if available)
- Payment information; either by writing credit card details on the application or by including a copy of the direct bank transfer receipt.
Note: Make sure if you are paying by direct transfer to account for bank charges
2) If you are approved by Focus College for acceptance into the college you will receive a Conditional Offer Letter
This Conditional Offer Letter is not valid for Visa purposes, it is only to state you have been offered a spot in the program. There will be a minimum tuition fee listed on the Conditional Offer Letter, when a student pays this minimum tuition fee then they are officially considered a student of Focus College. This fee is a deposit for your program, and is included in your overall tuition fee.
3) After you have paid the minimum tuition fee you will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance
The Conditional Letter of Acceptance means you have been fully accepted into Focus College. The Conditional Letter of Acceptance is valid of Visa purposes. It is strongly recommended to apply for your Student Visa immediately after receiving your Conditional Letter of Acceptance
Does Focus College Provide Accommodation?
At Focus College we want to support our students as best we can and we will be happy to help you find accommodation.
Accommodation costs between $600 and $800 for a single room per month.
If you would like us to help you find accommodation, you must notify us at least 1 month before you arrive in Canada and pay a non-refundable $300 accommodation arrangement fee and a deposit of $1500 at the time of notification.
Is Focus College a Designated Learning Institution?
Yes, Focus College is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI Number: O19330446102) under the rules of the Government. You are able to view the full list of Designated Learning Institutions in British Columbia, including Focus College, here
Is Focus College able to Provide Student Loans?
Focus College is unable to provide student loans ourselves, but we can offer to work with the student to create a payment plan if they wished.
There are plenty of Student Loan options available to domestic students such as the Provincial Government run Student Aid BC, as well there are many private banks which can offer student loans for short-term, and long-term programs.
How can I stay in Canada after Graduation?
There are numerous ways which you can stay in Canada post-graduation, but all would require updating your Student Visa. Please refer to the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website which goes into great detail about the options which are available to you
Can I get a Job After Graduation?
Focus College is able to provide industry connections to students while they are completing their courses, but Focus College does not offer any guarantee for students getting a job. If you are on a Student Visa, keep in mind that staying in Canada post-graduation will require you to update your Visa Application. You are able to find more information about staying in Canada post-graduation here
My Student Visa was Denied, can I get a refund?
If your Student Visa is denied please let us know right away by sending a copy of your Conditional Acceptance letter, a copy of your Student Visa Refusal Letter, and a copy of your direct transfer receipt. Refunds will be given in accordance with our Student Policy Handbook, or the refund policy set forth in the PTIB Bylaws.