The following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to Focus College regarding admissions and applications. If your question is still left unanswered please send an email to email@example.com
Why Choose Focus College?
- Qualified staff and instructors who want to help you to reach your education goals
- Student Support staff who can make your transition into post-secondary positive and memorable
- Small class sizes meaning students get more interaction with their instructors
- Affordable fees compared with public universities and other private colleges
- SQA Approved HND Programs which a student can transfer to any SQA progression partner to earn their degree after completing two years of school at Focus College
- Continuous Education programs which allow a student to start the course as soon as they are ready, and we can work with you to determine a schedule that works
- Get to live in beautiful British Columbia, and have the option to choose Kelowna or Surrey
Does Focus College Accept International Students?
Yes! Focus College loves to accept students from all over the world. We do not discriminate and welcome students with their own cultures into our community.
I don't have an IELTS Band Score, can I still apply to Focus College?
For all of our HND programs we do require students to have an IELTS level of at least 6 before starting the program. Please download a copy of course catalogue for more information regarding course language requirements.
What IELTS Band Score is Required?
IELTS band scores depend on the program you are applying for. Please download a course catalogue to find exact band score requirements.
What is the Application Process for International Students?
Here is information on financial obligations and estimated time lines to help you prepare for your application to study in Canada.
Canadian Immigration suggests starting the application process at least six months before arrival in Canada. Visa approvals can take a long time. For more information see the CIC website.
- Semester start dates are normally the first Monday of January, April, July & September
- Your Confirmation of Acceptance letter will show your exact start date
- Plan to arrive in Canada 1-full week before your course begins.
- You will need about $20,000 CDN for your first year at Focus College and in Canada:
- $200 application fee to Focus College with agent
- $7500 minimum tuition fees when you arrive
- $10,200 GIC – to show the Canadian government you can support yourself in Canada
- If no GIC you need at least $2000 money with you
- $120 medical exam fee
- $200 IELTS exam – more study visas are approved with an IELTS score – We recommend it
- $200 temporary international medical insurance from your country for 3 months in Canada
- $150 Study Visa Application Fee to Canadian Embassy
- $1800 for 3 months room rental (based on a shared room)
- $300 accommodation fee if you want Focus College to find you a room
(Steps 1 – 3 MUST be followed for application approval)
1) Focus College Application with $200 Application Fee
Submit the $200 fee with your application (Visa or MasterCard)
Email your application in PDF format only.
Email subject line: Your full name, date of birth, city, state, country, course you are taking
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- A completed Focus College Application form with BOTH 1st and 2nd choice of program
- Educational documents (report cards, certificates, etc.)
- A copy of your passport with photo
- A copy of your IELTS score
- Payment option:
- Either credit card details on application form
- or a copy of the direct bank transfer receipt (bank fees are extra! Approx. $40)
Note: We can only process applications with the correct and total registration fee. Payments by bank transfer or wire will cost about $240 because of bank fees.
2) Acceptance (or refusal) of application
If we cannot accept your application, you will be informed by email in 3-5 business days
2a) A Conditional Acceptance Letter is sent by email in 3-5 business days for all approved applications
- Your Conditional Acceptance Letter is not valid for your Visa. It is to let you know you have been offered a place on the program.
2b) Tuition Fee
The minimum tuition fee for International Students on your Conditional Acceptance Letter must be paid (generally $7500 + $300 bank fees).
When we receive your fees, you are officially a student of Focus College.
This $7500 fee is a deposit for the first semester of your program at Focus College.
If you are refused a study visa by the Canadian Embassy, the minimum tuition fee will be refunded.
(Please note: Your bank might charge additional bank exchange fees on the refund – normally between $300 – $600)
3) Confirmation of Acceptance letter
When Focus College receives your minimum $7500 tuition fee, we will send you a Confirmation of Acceptanceletter.
3a) The Confirmation of Acceptance letter is valid for Visa purposes.
3b) Apply to the Canadian Embassy or Canadian Government for your study visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Acceptance letter. Visa approvals take 4-6 weeks.
4) Visa Approval or Refusal
All study visas approvals and refusals must be sent to Focus College by email within 24 hours.
- Visa approval: a copy of the student’s plane ticket must be emailed to Focus College and an appointment must be made with the Focus College admissions department (students must report to the college within 48 hours of arrival in Canada).
- Visa refusal: the refusal letter must be emailed to Focus College.
Refunds can only be processed with refusal letters.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for the refund to be processed.
- Bank fees and changes in the exchange rate may affect your refund value
If you want Focus College to arrange accommodation for you:
- Return the accommodation request form AT LEAST 30 days before you arrive.
- Pay the $300 fee AND $1,800 for your first 3 months rent ($2,100 total) by Visa or MasterCard. If you pay by direct bank transfer you must add $40 for bank fees.
6) College check in
You must report to Focus College within 48 hours of arriving in CANADA.
Please call 250-861-5808 if you have not already made an appointment with an admissions advisor.
If you do not check in within 48 hours, we must report you to Immigration Canada!
7) Your appointment with admissions
- review and sign your student contract
- receive your program orientation date
- receive your schedule for your Focus College program
- receive the Focus College student handbook for review and signature
- receive the Focus College International Student Guide
- Social insurance
- MSP – Health insurance
- Bus / Transit schedule
- The cost of living
- Part time employment opportunities
- Show important bus routes, landmarks and additional student campus and community tour
- Culture Shock and life now in Canada
Does Focus College Provide Accommodation?
At Focus College we want to support our students as best we can and we will be happy to help you find accommodation.
Accommodation costs between $600 and $800 for a single room per month.
If you would like us to help you find accommodation, you must notify us at least 1 month before you arrive in Canada and pay a non-refundable $300 accommodation arrangement fee and a deposit of $1500 at the time of notification.
Is Focus College a Designated Learning Institution?
Yes, Focus College is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI Number: O19330446102) under the rules of the Government. You are able to view the full list of Designated Learning Institutions in British Columbia, including Focus College, here
Is Focus College able to Provide Student Loans?
Focus College is unable to provide student loans ourselves, but we can offer to work with the student to create a payment plan if they wished.
There are plenty of Student Loan options available to domestic students such as the Provincial Government run Student Aid BC, as well there are many private banks which can offer student loans for short-term, and long-term programs.
How can I stay in Canada after Graduation?
There are numerous ways which you can stay in Canada post-graduation, but all would require updating your Student Visa. Please refer to the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website which goes into great detail about the options which are available to you. For information specifically about the Post-Graduate work permit, please click here
Can I get a Job After Graduation?
Focus College is able to provide industry connections to students while they are completing their courses, but Focus College does not offer any guarantee for students getting a job. If you are on a Student Visa, keep in mind that staying in Canada post-graduation will require you to update your Visa Application. You are able to find more information about staying in Canada post-graduation here
My Student Visa was Denied, can I get a refund?
If your Student Visa is denied please let us know right away by sending a copy of your Conditional Acceptance letter, a copy of your Student Visa Refusal Letter, and a copy of your direct transfer receipt. Refunds will be given in accordance with our Student Policy Handbook, or the refund policy set forth in the PTIB Bylaws.