International Students - Focus College

Search Courses

Focus College welcomes international students from different countries and cultures.

Here you will find all information relating to international students under each tab. If you have any questions regarding education for international students which aren’t mentioned on this page, please send an email to

If you have a question regarding immigration, citizenship, or visas please refer to the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website for more information as Focus College is unable to provide advice or guidance in these areas

General Admission Requirements:

  • Completion of Grade 12
  • Minimum 18 years of age
  • Sufficient knowledge of the English Language

Note: IELTS Band scores are the best way to demonstrate knowledge of the English language. Please refer to our course catalogue which states each program’s English requirements. Focus College does accept international students without an IELTS Band score but Focus College does require that international have a sufficient knowledge of the English language to be able to understand the program. If an international student did not have IELTS, Focus College would strongly recommend that the student take ESL (English as a Second Language) classes before progressing into their desired program. If a student was deemed to not have a good enough understanding of the language after their ESL course had ended, they may be required to take additional language courses while completing their program.

The Application Process

The Application process for International students has 3 important steps which must be followed.

1) Submitting your application:
Your first application must contain all of your details which we would need to process your application efficiently. Please make sure to send all of this information in one email, in PDF format, which the student’s name and birth date in the subject line
• A completed Focus College Application form
• All of your educational supporting documents (report cards, certificates, etc)
• A copy of your passport
• A copy of IELTS (if available)
• Payment information; either by writing credit card details on the application or by including a copy of the direct bank transfer receipt.

Note: Make sure if you are paying by direct transfer to account for bank charges

2) If you are approved by Focus College for acceptance into the college you will receive a Conditional Offer Letter
This Conditional Offer Letter is not valid for Visa purposes, it is only to state you have been offered a spot in the program. There will be a minimum tuition fee listed on the Conditional Offer Letter, when a student pays this minimum tuition fee then they are officially considered a student of Focus College. This fee is a deposit for your program, and is included in your overall tuition fee.

3) After you have paid the minimum tuition fee you will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance
The Conditional Letter of Acceptance means you have been fully accepted into Focus College. The Conditional Letter of Acceptance is valid of Visa purposes. It is strongly recommended to apply for your Student Visa immediately after receiving your Conditional Letter of Acceptance


As Focus College wants to support our international students as best we can, we are able to help students with finding accommodation during their time here. If a student needs accommodation they must notify Focus College at least one month before they arrive in Canada. If you would like accommodation, or have any questions regarding finding accommodation please email

Working while Completing School:

Full-time international students can work off-campus without a work permit:

  • up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level (Focus College is a Designated Learning Institution)
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the eligibility requirements listed above (e.g., if you’re no longer a full-time student during an academic session).

To work in Canada you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). To get a Social Insurance Number go to the Service Canada Office in Kelowna with one of these documents:

  • a study permit that states you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada,


  • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 6, 2015,


  • a work permit (e.g. co-op, post-graduation, or spouse/partner work permit)

You will receive your SIN the same day you apply.

Download a copy of our International Student Guide for more information about life in Canada!