Big Data Analyst Program Focus HTC
Brief Program Description
With the advancement in modern digital technologies and applications including smart phones, IoT devices, Cloud, and social media applications, massive amount of data in businesses is generated every day. On one hand, there lies significant value in this data by enabling the discovery of hidden patterns including market trends, correlations, and future trends to make companies more innovative and competitive. On the other hand, getting meaningful insights from such a large, diverse, and complex data poses a real challenge that requires hands-on skills, knowledge, and technical competence. Hence, there is a pressing need to gain necessary skills, knowledge, and experience for turning this raw data deluge into actionable knowledge.
In this Big Data Analyst program, students will learn various big data tools, techniques, and analytical methods used for data-driven decision-making. The students will develop essential skills and extensive knowledge for organizing, managing, and analyzing data at large scale and gain an understanding of how raw data can be transformed into meaningful insights to inform intelligent business decisions. The program will also equip individuals with critical skills in programming frameworks for big data, computational thinking, algorithmic design, data-driven analysis, and effective data visualization through a range of lab-oriented courses and case studies. The program will enable students to build confidence and develop technical competence that will prepare them for data analyst roles that are in high demand across a wide range of industries. The completion of the in-class courses is followed by a six-week practicum to gain real-world hands-on experience in key data analytical skills.
This industry-leading program is intended to qualify graduates for careers including:
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- Data Mining Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Data Architect
The students must meet the following criteria to be accepted into the Big Data Analyst program:
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent qualification or Mature Student Status*.
- If English is not the student’s first language, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in case of other testing standards) score to be admitted to the program. If, upon starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than the criteria mentioned, they will be required to take English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
*(19 years of age upon starting the program and qualify the college’s admission test)
Upon completion of this program, the successful students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Understand fundamental concepts of big data, programming paradigms, and key analytical skills
- Demonstrate understanding of various tools and techniques of big data and its industrial applications
- Apply various tools and techniques to clean, explore, and organize data for further analysis
- Demonstrate data analysis using various data analytical methods, tools, and techniques to transform raw data into actionable knowledge
- Understand and apply next-generation big-data platforms and frameworks including Apache Spark, Hadoop, and MapReduce for big data analysis
- Demonstrate effective data visualization to form a compelling narrative and deliver clear business insights
- Demonstrate building and evaluating machine learning models and pipelines for big data
Method(s) of Evaluation
The Big Data Analyst (with Practicum) program will be assessed using both formative and summative methods and a blend of continuous Unit assessment and Graded Unit assessments. Each course (unit) has an assessment which the candidate is required to pass. The allocation of grades awarded are as follows:
- Grade A – Student has achieved 70% or above marks
- Grade B – Student has achieved marks between 60% and 69%
- Grade C – Student has achieved marks between 50% and 59%
- F (Fail) – Student has achieved less than 50% marks
To graduate, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses with a minimum of 50% (C grade) in each course
- Successful completion of the Practicum
Successful completion of all assignments and tasks required in the Career and Professional Skills course
Duration of the program is 52 weeks (full-time), and the total instructional hours are 1,056.
Approximately 10-15 hours/week of homework is required from students to be successful in this fast-paced and intensive program.
The program is delivered through the following delivery models:
- In-class instruction
- Distance education
- Hybrid delivery (both in-class and distance)
Required course materials
Various textbooks/reference books and other online educational materials will be provided. Please see the course outline forms for individual course books/materials.
The following table shows the titles of the courses in this program in the order they are provided, and the hours of instruction allotted to each course.
|Title of Course/Work Experience Component *||Number of Hours*|
|Computer Systems Fundamentals||48|
|Discrete Math for Computing||48|
|Introduction to Statistics||48|
|Big Data Fundamentals||48|
|Introduction to NoSQL Databases||48|
|Data Wrangling and Exploration||48|
|Fundamentals of ERP & Datawarehouse||48|
|Introduction to Machine Learning||48|
|Big Data Frameworks||48|
|Career Development Planning||48|
|Practicum: Full-time (Six Weeks)||240|