Blockchain Technology Expert Program Focus HTC
Brief Program Description
Blockchain is an emerging technology that enables the transfer and storage of information in a secure and fast way. It has been revolutionizing every industry and managerial function. It has the potential to change business processes and models in a distributed and decentralized manner. Blockchain has been redefining the ways we do businesses, exchange ideas, and manage workflows. Currently, there has been a significant rise in demand for blockchain developers in the market. Glassdoor reported a 300% increase in blockchain-related jobs in 2019 over the last year. However, there has also been a lack of technical skills and talent in blockchain development. Hence, there is a desperate need for a hands-on educational program to potentially address this talent gap in the market.
The Blockchain Technology Expert program will introduce students to the concepts, tools, and development of blockchain technology. The program not only provides learners with an understanding and practical knowledge of blockchain fundamentals but also an essential skill set for designing and developing smart contracts and methods for developing decentralized applications on the blockchain. The program will further provide an in-depth exploration of a wide range of other concepts including cryptocurrency, FinTech, blockchain platforms and frameworks, and secure peer-to-peer transactions. Students will be engaged in experiential learning activities that will enable them potentially to address real-world issues in blockchain development. Through the lab-oriented courses and practical assignments, students will develop essential skills and competence required for a career in blockchain development.
The completion of the in-class courses is followed by a six-week full-time practicum to gain real-world hands-on experience in blockchain development. This will further allow students to demonstrate their talent in resolving real-world challenges leading to a rise in career potential.
This industry-leading program is intended to qualify graduates for careers including:
- Blockchain Developer
- Blockchain Engineer
- Blockchain Technology Expert
- Blockchain Technology Specialist
- Blockchain Technology Analyst
- Blockchain Project Manager
- Blockchain Solution Architect
The students must meet the following criteria to be accepted into the Blockchain Technology Expert program:
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent qualification from an English language institution
- If English is not the student’s first language, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in the case of other testing standards) score to be admitted to the program. If upon starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than the criteria mentioned, they will be required to take the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
- Mature student status*
*(19 years of age upon starting the program and qualify the college’s admission test)
Upon completion of this program, the successful students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts of blockchain development, its design principles, and major underlying technologies
- Demonstrate the working knowledge of both open-source and enterprise-level tools and technologies of blockchain
- Understand Bitcoin’s and Ethereum’s real-life applications (both traditional and emerging) and implementation challenges
- Design and develop smart contracts and end-to-end decentralized applications (Dapps)
- Demonstrate how to attack and destroy Bitcoin, Ethereum, smart contracts, and decentralized applications
- Identify and evaluate promising applications of blockchain technology within their chosen industry
- Formulate their own informed blockchain mental models, hypotheses, and use cases
- Synthesize their own blockchain solutions
Method(s) of Evaluation
In the Blockchain Technology Expert program, students will be assessed through both formative and summative methods and a blend of continuous Unit assessment and Graded Unit assessments. Each course (unit) has an assessment that the candidate is required to pass. The allocation of grades awarded are as follows:
- Grade A – Student has achieved 70% or above marks
- Grade B – Student has achieved marks between 60% and 69%
- Grade C – Student has achieved marks between 50% and 59%
- F (Fail) – Student has achieved less than 50% marks
To graduate, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses with a minimum 50% (C grade) in each course
- Successful completion of the Practicum
- Successful completion of all assignments and tasks required in the Career and Professional Skills course
The duration of the program is 80 weeks (full-time), and the total hours are 1600.
Approximately 10-15 hours/week of homework is required from students to be successful in this fast-paced and intensive program.
The program is delivered through the following delivery models:
- In-class instruction
- Distance education
- Hybrid delivery (both in-class and distance)
Required course materials
Various textbooks/reference books and other online educational materials will be provided. Please see the course outline forms for individual course books/materials.
The following table shows the titles of the courses in this program in the order they are provided, and the hours of instruction allotted to each course.
|Title of Course/Work Experience Component *||Number of Hours*|
|Computer Systems Fundamentals||80|
|Discrete Math for Computing||80|
|Introduction to Computer Network||80|
|Introduction to Distributed Databases||80|
|Foundations of Blockchain Technologies||80|
|Blockchain and FinTech||80|
|Introduction to Cryptography||80|
|Career Development Planning||80|
|Practicum: Full-time (Six Weeks)||240|