Advanced Certificate in Business
About the Program
The Advanced Certificate in Business will prepare you for a wide range of positions that include: Administration Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Personal Assistant, Banking Assistant, Business Development, Purchasing Coordinator, Sales, Customer Service, Financial Assistant and Trainee Manager.
Our 1-year program will allow you to develop advanced qualifications and will provide you with the practical skills and theoretical business knowledge employers need. They allow advanced entry to universities nationally and internationally.
The Advanced Certificate (AC) in Business provides current insight into the main aspects of international business with a focus on business management and human resource management. It covers business culture and strategy, managing people in different sizes of organizations, marketing, economic issues, accounting, business law, and IT.
The AC in Business will provide a breadth of competences. Upon completion of this program students:
- will have developed suitable competencies to enter a range of administrative, commercial or managerial positions.
- will have developed competencies to support their career aspirations.
- will be prepared for progression to degree courses delivered by partner universities in different countries.
- will have developed skills for independent, life-long learning.
- will have developed and enhanced transferable skills for employability and Core Skills.
- will have developed and enhanced transferable skills in planning, organizing, critical and evaluative thinking and will be able to investigate business issues and problems in depth.
- will have developed intrapersonal and interpersonal skills relevant to a range of administrative, commercial, or managerial positions in business organizations.
- will have developed communication and presentation skills.
- will be able to adopt an innovative and creative approach to their work and be able to respond quickly to challenges posed by changes in the business environment.
- will have developed the ability to work flexibly and co-operatively with others.
This program has been approved by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training.
The AC in Business will prepare candidates for entry to a wide range of positions. Respondents to employer consultation named the following as posts for which Advanced Business graduates would typically be recruited: Administrative Officer, Manufacturing Distribution, Administration Supervisor, Office Manager, Assistant Manager, Personal Assistant, Banking Advisor, Planning Officer, Business Development Assistant, Purchasing Officer, Business Manager, Sales Coordinator, Customer Service Coordinator, Team Leader, Finance Assistant, Trainee Manager, etc.
The AC in Business has a managerial focus which enables candidates to progress more quickly to supervisory/management roles. In addition, AC in Business candidates, through their choice of options, will be able to prepare for a career (or further studies) in a number of specialist areas, for example, Human Resource Management, Marketing, and Financial Services.
Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification
If English is not a student’s mother tongue, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in case of other testing standards) to be admitted to the course. If, on starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than what is expected of an IELTS 6.0, they will be required to take the 5 Star English course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
Attendance Expectations: Students are required to maintain minimum 80% attendance throughout the program.
Graduation Requirements: In order to graduate, students must pass the AC program at minimum Grade C.
University Progression: The Advanced Certificate in Business can provide advanced entry to an undergraduate degree-level study or a masters level degree program. The Advanced Certificate in Business can also provide advanced entry to the University of the Fraser Valley. Please contact an Admissions Advisor for further information.