About the Program
The Advanced Diploma in Business (18-24 Months) will provide you with the current skill sets required in business management, business accounting, law, economic issues, and business communication practices. This course will prepare you for opportunities as an Office Manager, Planning Manager, Business Development, Business and Sales Manager and Team Leader/Manager.
AD Business Management will provide a breadth of competencies. The specific aims of the AD Business Management are to:
- Develop suitable competencies to enter a range of administrative, commercial, or managerial positions.
- Develop student competencies to support their career aspirations.
- Prepare students for progression to degree courses delivered by UK universities.
- Develop skills for independent, life-long learning.
- Develop and enhance transferable skills for employability and Core Skills.
- Develop and enhance transferable skills in planning, organizing, critical and evaluative thinking and enable the candidate to investigate business issues and problems in depth.
- Develop intrapersonal and interpersonal skills relevant to a range of administrative, commercial, or managerial positions in business organizations.
- Develop communication and presentation skills.
- Adopt an innovative and creative approach to their work and be able to respond quickly to challenges posed by changes in the business environment.
- Develop the ability to work flexibly and co-operatively with others
AD Business prepares candidates for entry to a wide range of positions. Respondents to employer consultation named the following as posts for which AD Business graduates would typically be recruited:
- Administrative Officer,
- Manufacturing Distribution,
- Office Manager,
- Assistant Manager,
- Personal Assistant,
- Banking Advisor,
- Planning Officer,
- Business Development Assistant,
- Purchasing Officer,
- Business Manager,
- Sales Coordinator,
- Customer Service Coordinator,
- Team Leader,
- Finance Assistant,
- Trainee Manager,
The AD Business has a strong managerial focus which enables candidates to progress more quickly to supervisory/management roles. In addition, AD candidates, through their choice of options, will be able to prepare for a career (or further studies) in several specialist areas, for example, Human Resource Management, Marketing, and Financial Services.
Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification
If English is not a student’s mother tongue, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in case of other testing standards) to be admitted to the course. If, on starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than what is expected of an IELTS 6.0, they will be required to take the 5 Star English course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
Attendance Expectations: Students are required to maintain minimum 80% attendance throughout the program.
Graduation Requirements: In order to graduate, students must pass the AC program at minimum Grade C.
University Progression: The Advanced Certificate in Business can provide advanced entry to an undergraduate degree-level study or a masters level degree program. The Advanced Certificate in Business can also provide advanced entry to the University of the Fraser Valley. Please contact an Admissions Advisor for further information.
Program Organization: Advanced Diploma in Business program consists of two years.