Certificate in Travel and Tourism
- Program Duration
- Brief Program Description
- Career Opportunities
- Admission Requirements
- Who Will Benefit?
- Required Textbooks
- Require Equipment
- Other Materials
- Homework Hours
- Delivery Methods
- Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- Student progress
- Attendance expectations
- Dress Expectations
- Graduation Requirements
- Program Organization
1 year (42 Weeks).
Brief Program Description
The Certificate in Travel and Tourism provides current insight into the main aspects of travel and tourism. It covers air travel, marketing, customer care, tour guiding and resort representation, international tourist destinations, business communication, and IT.
The graduates of the Certificate in Travel and Tourism would typically be recruited for:
- Travel Agent
- Tour Operator
- Airline Service Agent
- Travel Consultant
- Ground and Water Transport Agent
- Reservation Agent
- Conference/Event Planning
- Ticket Agent
- Travel Information Agent
- Travel Specialist
- Visitor Information Counsellor
- Guest Services Agent/Representative
- Administrative Assistant
- Booking Agent
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification.
- If English is not a student’s mother tongue, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in the case of other testing standards) to be admitted to the course. If on starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than what is expected of an IELTS 6.0, they will be required to take an English course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
Who Will Benefit?
The Certificate in Travel and Tourism Program is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- recent high school graduates or adults returning to education
- individuals in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects or start their own business
The students will be provided with list of reference books for courses as the program proceed.
Windows Based Computer, Office 365, Good Internet Connection
Students will be given access to the online class notes and video recordings wherever applicable.
Approximately 10-15 hrs/week is required from students to be successful in this fast paced and intensive program.
- On-site delivery
- Distance delivery
- Combined delivery (on-site and distance)
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
The Certificate in Travel and Tourism has a range of aims relating to academic and vocational progression. These are to develop:
- a basis for future career and personal development.
- research and study skills.
- ability to manage and absorb large amounts of information.
- transferable skills and the ability to be flexible and work co-operatively with others.
- the ability to take responsibility for one’s own learning.
- organizational, research and investigative skills, and develop skills in planning and organizing and require students to investigate in-depth problems and issues.
- critical and evaluative thinking looking at key issues and problems from a managerial perspective.
- key skills and knowledge in marketing, economics, and customer service
- sound product knowledge of international destinations, and relevant practical technical skills in for example tour guiding, itinerary preparation, fare calculations and document completion.
- managerial competences in the meaningful travel and tourism context of tour operations and retail travel.
- a scope for an in-depth look at the key issue of sustainability.
Student progress/ assessment methods:
Assessments use a mix of continuous assessment, Quizzes, Mid Term and Final Exams. Each course (unit) has a series of assessments which the candidate is required to pass (test banks, quizzes, case studies, essays, projects, presentations, final course exam, and often a mid-course exam too). The allocation of grades awarded are as follows:
90-100% A+ Excellent
80-89% A Good
70-79% B Fair
60-69% C Pass
Below 60% Fail
Students are required to maintain minimum 80% attendance throughout the program.
To graduate, students must pass all units throughout the program at a minimum of Grade C.
The Certificate in Travel and Tourism program consists of 1 year of study. Review the following information indicating mandatory courses and duration.
|Structure of the Travel and Tourism Industry||105|
|Applying Marketing Principles in Travel and Tourism||70|
|Creating a Culture of Customer Care||70|
|Preparation for Employment in Travel and Tourism||70|
|International Tourist Destinations||70|
|Communication: Business Communication||70|
|Information Technology: Applications Software 1||70|
|Tour Guiding and Resort Representation||105|