Cybersecurity Analyst Program Focus HTC
Brief Program Description
Today we are living in a heavily technologically reliant world in which our society has become increasingly dependent on networked devices, smartphones, and the Internet. From running businesses, accessing government services, to interacting with our family and friends, these technologies, in addition to Cloud-based networks, have become an integral part of our daily lives. On one hand there lies the significant value in it in terms of improved quality of life. On the other hand, this increased technological reliance creates vulnerabilities and poses serious challenges to our privacy and security including personal and financial information, intellectual property, government systems, and trade and industry secrets, to name but a few. Hence, there is a pressing need to plan, devise, and implement effective cybersecurity strategies to secure individuals, governments, and businesses against cyberthreats and cyberattacks.
The Cybersecurity Analyst program is designed to equip students with the necessary skills, practical competencies, and knowledge required for securing digital devices, computer networks, software, and cloud-based systems. The program aims at developing cybersecurity skills to detect, protect against, respond to, and recover from cyberattacks. The program will introduce students to the principles of cybersecurity, explore emerging technologies, examine security threats and protective measures, and investigate high-skill and high-demand career opportunities required for a successful career in the field of cybersecurity. The program will also help students prepare for certification examinations including CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, and CCNA. The completion of the in-class courses is followed by a six-week practicum to gain real-world hands-on experience in the field of cybersecurity.
This industry-leading cybersecurity program will qualify graduates for careers including:
- Cybersecurity specialist
- Information security analyst
- Cybersecurity advisor
- Security consultant
- Cybersecurity analyst
- Network security specialist
- Network administrator
The students must meet the following criteria to be accepted into the Cybersecurity Analyst program:
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent qualification or Mature Student Status*.
- If English is not the student’s first language, they are required to have an IELTS level 6.0 OR equivalent (in the case of other testing standards) score to be admitted to the program. If upon starting the program, their language proficiency proves to be significantly lower than the criteria mentioned, they will be required to take the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course at Focus College before being able to continue with their program studies.
*(19 years of age upon starting the program and qualify the college’s admission test)
Upon completion of the program, the successful students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Understand and enumerate both the privacy and security issues involved with providing secure computer networks and Cloud-based systems
- Demonstrate the fundamentals of secure network design and management
- Configure, install, and upgrade computer hardware, operating systems, and application software
- Identify vulnerabilities in applications, websites, networks, operating systems, and configurations using tools and techniques
- Provide troubleshooting and technical support to end-users experiencing problems related to hardware, software, networks, and other privileges
- Implement security design principles and apply security policies used in modern operating systems
- Analyze the security of a basic security system for business processes and applications
- Analyze underlying cryptography required for secure communications, authorization, and authentication
- Design, configure, manage, secure, and troubleshoot networks, operating systems, and applications
- Evaluate the performance and efficiency of and troubleshoot computer networks, operating systems, hardware, and application software
Method(s) of Evaluation
In the Cybersecurity Analyst program, learners will be assessed through both formative and summative methods and a blend of continuous Unit assessment and Graded Unit assessments. Each course (unit) has an assessment that the candidate is required to pass. The allocation of grades awarded are as follows:
- Grade A – Student has achieved 70% or above marks
- Grade B – Student has achieved marks between 60% and 69%
- Grade C – Student has achieved marks between 50% and 59%
- F (Fail) – Student has achieved less than 50% marks
To graduate, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all courses with a minimum 50% (C grade) in each course
- Successful completion of the Practicum
- Successful completion of all assignments and tasks required in the Career and Professional Skills course
Duration of the program is 52 weeks (full-time), and the total instructional hours are 1,056.
Approximately 10-15 hours/week of homework is required from students to be successful in this fast-paced and intensive program.
The program is delivered through the following delivery models:
- In-class instruction
- Distance education
- Combined delivery (both in-class and distance)
Required course materials
Various textbooks/reference books and other online educational materials will be provided. Please see the course outline forms for individual course books/materials.
The following table shows the titles of the courses in this program in the order they are provided, and the hours of instruction allotted to each course.
|Title of Course/Work Experience Component *||Number of Hours*|
|Computer Systems Fundamentals||48|
|PC Maintenance: Hardware||48|
|PC Maintenance: Software||48|
|Introduction to Computer Network||48|
|Windows Client OS Configuration||48|
|Windows Devices Configuration||48|
|Windows Server Configuration||48|
|Linux Essentials and Shell Scripting||48|
|Internet Protocols Fundamentals||48|
|Cisco Networking: Routing and Switching||48|
|Networking with Windows Server||48|
|Securing Windows Server||48|
|Introduction to Cryptography||48|
|Career Development Planning||48|
|Practicum: Full-time (Six Weeks)||240|