Focus College welcomes our International Students!
Here you will find all information relating to international students under each tab. If you have any questions regarding education for international students which aren’t mentioned on this page, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact Us over the phone directly!
If you have a question regarding immigration, citizenship, or visas please refer to the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website for more information as Focus College is unable to provide advice or guidance in these areas.
General Admission Requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Sufficient knowledge of the English Language
Note: IELTS Band scores are the best way to demonstrate knowledge of the English language. Please refer to our course catalogue which states each program’s English requirements.
Focus College does accept international students without an IELTS Band score, however Focus College does require that international students have a sufficient knowledge of the English language to be able to understand the program.
If an international student did not have IELTS, Focus College would strongly recommend that the student take ESL (English as a Second Language) classes before progressing into their desired program. If a student was deemed to not have a good enough understanding of the language after their ESL course had ended, they may be required to take additional language courses while completing their program.
Application Process for International Students to Focus College
Here is information on financial obligations and estimated time lines to help you prepare for your application to study in Canada.
Canadian Immigration suggests starting the application process at least six months before arrival in Canada. Visa approvals can take a long time. For more information see the CIC website.
- Semester start dates are normally the first Monday of January, April, July & September
- Your Confirmation of Acceptance letter will show your exact start date
- Plan to arrive in Canada 1-full week before your course begins.
- You will need about $20,000 CDN for your first year at Focus College and in Canada:
- $200 application fee to Focus College with agent
- $7500 minimum tuition fees when you arrive
- $10,200 GIC – to show the Canadian government you can support yourself in Canada
- If no GIC you need at least $2000 money with you
- $120 medical exam fee
- $200 IELTS exam – more study visas are approved with an IELTS score – We recommend it
- $200 temporary international medical insurance from your country for 3 months in Canada
- $150 Study Visa Application Fee to Canadian Embassy
- $1800 for 3 months room rental (based on a shared room)
- $300 accommodation fee if you want Focus College to find you a room
(Steps 1 – 3 MUST be followed for application approval)
1) Focus College Application with $200 Application Fee
Submit the $200 fee with your application (Visa or MasterCard)
Email your application in PDF format only.
Email subject line: Your full name, date of birth, city, state, country, course you are taking
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- A completed Focus College Application form with BOTH 1st and 2nd choice of program
- Educational documents (report cards, certificates, etc.)
- A copy of your passport with photo
- A copy of your IELTS score
- Payment option:
- Either credit card details on application form
- or a copy of the direct bank transfer receipt (bank fees are extra! Approx. $40)
Note: We can only process applications with the correct and total registration fee. Payments by bank transfer or wire will cost about $240 because of bank fees.
2) Acceptance (or refusal) of application
If we cannot accept your application, you will be informed by email in 3-5 business days
2a) A Conditional Acceptance Letter is sent by email in 3-5 business days for all approved applications
- Your Conditional Acceptance Letter is not valid for your Visa. It is to let you know you have been offered a place on the program.
2b) Tuition Fee
The minimum tuition fee for International Students on your Conditional Acceptance Letter must be paid (generally $7500 + $300 bank fees).
When we receive your fees, you are officially a student of Focus College.
This $7500 fee is a deposit for the first semester of your program at Focus College.
If you are refused a study visa by the Canadian Embassy, the minimum tuition fee will be refunded.
(Please note: Your bank might charge additional bank exchange fees on the refund – normally between $300 – $600)
3) Confirmation of Acceptance letter
When Focus College receives your minimum $7500 tuition fee, we will send you a Confirmation of Acceptance letter.
3a) The Confirmation of Acceptance letter is valid for Visa purposes.
3b) Apply to the Canadian Embassy or Canadian Government for your study visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Acceptance letter. Visa approvals take 4-6 weeks.
4) Visa Approval or Refusal
All study visas approvals and refusals must be sent to Focus College by email within 24 hours.
- Visa approval: a copy of the student’s plane ticket must be emailed to Focus College and an appointment must be made with the Focus College admissions department (students must report to the college within 48 hours of arrival in Canada).
- Visa refusal: the refusal letter must be emailed to Focus College.
Refunds can only be processed with refusal letters.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for the refund to be processed.
- Bank fees and changes in the exchange rate may affect your refund value
If you want Focus College to arrange accommodation for you:
- Return the accommodation request form AT LEAST 30 days before you arrive.
- Pay the $300 fee AND $1,800 for your first 3 months rent ($2,100 total) by Visa or MasterCard. If you pay by direct bank transfer you must add $40 for bank fees.
6) College check in
You must report to Focus College within 48 hours of arriving in CANADA.
Please call 250-861-5808 if you have not already made an appointment with an admissions advisor.
If you do not check in within 48 hours, we must report you to Immigration Canada!
7) Your appointment with admissions
- review and sign your student contract
- receive your program orientation date
- receive your schedule for your Focus College program
- receive the Focus College student handbook for review and signature
- receive the Focus College International Student Guide
- Social insurance
- MSP – Health insurance
- Bus / Transit schedule
- The cost of living
- Part time employment opportunities
- Show important bus routes, landmarks and additional student campus and community tour
- Culture Shock and life now in Canada
Focus College wants to support our international students as best we can. We are able to help students with finding accommodation during their time here. If a student needs accommodation they must notify Focus College at least one month before they arrive in Canada. If you would like accommodation, or have any questions regarding finding accommodation please email email@example.com
Working while Completing School:
Full-time international students can work off-campus without a work permit:
- up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
- full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
To qualify, you must:
- have a valid study permit,
- be a full-time student,
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level (Focus College is a Designated Learning Institution)
- be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.
You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the eligibility requirements listed above (e.g., if you’re no longer a full-time student during an academic session).
To work in Canada you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). To get a Social Insurance Number go to the Service Canada Office in Kelowna with one of these documents:
- a study permit that states you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada,
- a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 6, 2015,
- a work permit (e.g. co-op, post-graduation, or spouse/partner work permit)
You will receive your SIN the same day you apply.