Get the Skills for a Professional Career in Software Development
12 Month* Hands-On Computing Training Program
There is a strong demand for software developers in a wide variety of industries, from biotechnology to telecommunications and transportation. In this 1-year* full-time program, you will get the skills you need to jump into the growing Internet Technology field and launch your career.
If you have an analytical, problem-solving mind and like to be creative while working with computers, the Advanced Diploma in Computing: Software Developer program from Focus College could be just the place for you to start your journey to a career in IT.
You could complete the certificate program, find employment, spend another year with us to complete your Advanced Diploma, and even move on after that to enter one of our 75 partner universities around the world to get a degree. It all starts right here.
Focus on your goal and we’ll get you the skills to make it a reality.
The Advanced Certificate in Computing: Software Development courses aim to equip students with the necessary skills required to pursue a career in the computing field at a professional or junior managerial level. They are also aimed at those who wish to study computing at this level before undertaking a career in another field where such skills are often very necessary.
This program will prepare students for employment in an IT/Computing-related post at a technician or professional level in a software development role.
Is a Career in IT Right for You? Find Out! Take the Focus College "IT Career Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your IT Career Training Readiness score now >>
Who Will Benefit from the Program?
Actually, most people have a lot to gain from taking this program. Former students returning to school, anyone who wants to pursue higher education, adult learners with families, working individuals who wish to enhance their career prospects, and people who wish to start their own businesses.
The program covers an introduction to developing software, ethics in computing, troubleshooting, an introduction to project management, database design fundamentals, relational database, as well as an introduction to SQL and mathematics for computing.
The Advanced Certificate in Computing: Software Development will provide a breadth of competencies. Upon completion of this program students will have:
- Developed knowledge and skills in planning, developing and evaluating
- Developed employment skills, particularly relating to the IT industry
- Developed and enhanced transferable skills for employability and core skills
- Developed study and research skills as well as academic stimulus
- Developed a range of contemporary computer and software skills that are required by the technology industry
- Been prepared for employment in competitive international markets or for progression to degree study at partner universities around the world
- Been provided with underpinning knowledge associated with appropriate vendor qualifications
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification OR relevant experience or mature students
- In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”)
- This program is offered at the Kelowna and Surrey campuses
- Students are required to maintain 80% attendance throughout the program
- Approximately 10–15 hours/week is required from students to be successful in this program
- In order to graduate, students must pass all units through the program with a grade of C or higher
Is Employment-Focused Training for a Career in IT Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Focus College’s training programs and career opportunities in Information Technology and Software Development are right for you, or you want to learn more about how you can transfer credits to one of our many international university partners, fill out the form on this page and we’ll get you some more information.
A helpful Focus College Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from determining the right career path for you to discussing financial aid options.
*Program length when completed in normal time.