Get the Skills for a Professional Career
in Software Development
18 Month** Hands-On Computing Training Program
If you’re looking for a career in a field with a strong demand for skilled employees, IT and Software Development are two great options with job opportunities in many different industries, from biotechnology to telecommunications and transportation.
In this 2-year* full-time Advanced Diploma in Computing: Software Development program, you will take your analytic, problem-solving brain and add the specific skills taught in our employment-focused courses and be job-ready in no time.
And you have the option to complete the diploma program and jump right into securing employment or move on to enter one of our 75 partner universities around the world to get your degree. It all starts right here.
Focus on your goal and we’ll get you the skills to make it a reality.
The Advanced Diploma in Computing: Software Development is designed to equip students with the necessary skills required to pursue a career in the IT field at a professional or junior managerial level. The program will prepare students for employment in a software development role with an IT/Computing-related post at technician or professional level.
Is a Career in IT Right for You? Find Out! Take the Focus College "IT Career Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your IT Career Training Readiness score now >>
Who Will Benefit from the Program?
Actually, most people have a lot to gain from taking this program. Former students returning to school, anyone who wants to pursue higher education, adult learners with families, working individuals who wish to enhance their career prospects, and people who wish to start their own businesses.
The Advanced Diploma in Computing: Software Development can provide advanced entry to Bachelor’s or Master’s degree-level study. Visit this page for information on the institutions that will consider advanced entry with Focus College’s diploma qualifications.
The Advanced Diploma in Computing: Software Development will give students the skills and theoretical knowledge that they need to move into higher education and employment. The software development activities covered include: new development, modification, re-use, re-engineering and maintenance.
The specific aims of the program are to:
- Develop a range of contemporary software development skills that are required by industry
- Develop students’ knowledge and skills in planning, developing and evaluating
- Develop employment skills, particularly relating to the IT industry
- Develop learning and transferable skills (including core skills)
- Prepare learners for employment in competitive international markets
- Prepare learners for progression to degree study at partners universities in various countries
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification OR relevant experience or mature students
- In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”).
- This program is offered at the Kelowna and Surrey campuses
- Students are required to maintain 80% attendance throughout the program
- Approximately 10–15 hours/week is required from students to be successful in this program
- In order to graduate, students must pass all units through the program with a grade of C or higher
Is Employment-Focused Training for a Career in IT Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Focus College’s training programs and career opportunities in Information Technology and Software Development are right for you, or you want to learn more about how you can transfer credits to one of our many international university partners, fill out the form on this page and we’ll get you some more information.
A helpful Focus College Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from determining the right career path for you to discussing financial aid options.
*Program length when completed in normal time. **Program length following the accelerated track.