Get the Skills for a Professional Career in Bylaw Enforcement
40 Hour* Hands-On Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1 Training Program
Few training programs can offer you a pathway to a career in just 1 week*. That’s exactly what the Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1 program can do for you. If you’re good with people, have strong written and verbal communication skills, and are a problem solver with a desire to peacefully find resolutions to potential conflicts, this may be just the program for you.
You don’t always have to pay a lot and invest years of your time to get a good job. This is the route for people who want a quicker, more affordable way to build a career.
You’ll feel confident about your career opportunities when you have Kelowna’s top Bylaw Officer as your instructor and connection to the industry. Focus on your goal and we’ll get you the skills you need to make it a reality.
A Bylaw Enforcement Officer is usually an employee of a municipality or regional district that performs administrative, inspectional and regulatory work to enforce bylaws relating to property use, buildings, parking, business regulations, animal control, zoning, noise, sign, etc. Candidates can expect to earn $25+ per hour and enjoy working both inside and outside of the office.
Who Will Benefit from the Program?
Anyone who is hoping to jump right into a career with minimal investment of time and money.
The Bylaw Enforcement Officer Level 1 course will teach students about the court system in British Columbia and Canada. Students will learn about the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, privacy legislation, human rights, the rules of evidence, civil/criminal liability, the Criminal Code of Canada, and federal, provincial and municipal legislation, including various local government statutes.
Students will also learn note taking, report writing, statement taking and interviewing skills, as well as relevant communication and active listening skills.
Upon completion of the Bylaw Enforcement Officer Level 1 course, the successful student will develop and demonstrate the ability to:
- Complete concise, accurate notes in a notebook
- Interview witnesses/accused and complete a statement
- Apply active listening skills when taking a statement or diffuse a tense situation
- Apply the relevant law during their course of duty at a municipal level
- Minimum 18 years of age or out of school for a minimum of 1 year
- In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”)
- Communication and Active Listening
- Investigational Procedures
- Interviewing and Statement Taking
- Notes and Notebooks
- Report Writing
- The Court Systems in BC and Canada
- The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Privacy Legislation
- Human Rights
- Rules of Evidence
- Civil and Criminal Liability
- Due Diligence
- Federal, Provincial and Municipal Legislation
- Various Statutes, Including the Local Government Act, Municipal Act, Police Act, and Community Charter
Review our program pricing for full details.
- On campus delivery in Kelowna or Surrey
- Students must obtain 70% or higher on the quizzes and reviews and must also demonstrate to the instructor that the concepts have been understood.
Any supplies will be provided by the College.
Bylaw Enforcement Officer 2
Have you taken Bylaw Enforcement Office 1? Move on to Level 2.
Is Employment-Focused Training for a Career in Bylaw Enforcement Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Focus College’s training programs and career opportunities as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer are right for you, or you want to learn more about how you can transfer credits to one of our many international university partners, fill out the form on this page and we’ll get you some more information.
A helpful Focus College Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from determining the right career path for you to discussing financial aid options.
*Program length when completed in normal time.