Get the Skills to Upgrade Your Bylaw Enforcement Career
40 Hour* Hands-On Bylaw Enforcement Officer 2 Training Program
Ready to build on the skills you developed in your Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1 program? In just 1 week* of full-time training, you can improve your career chances and build confidence in your abilities by completing the Bylaw Enforcement Officer 2 course.
You’ll feel confident about your career opportunities with Kelowna’s top Bylaw Officer guiding you as the course instructor and serving as your connection to the industry. Focus on your goal and we’ll get you the skills you need to make it a reality.
A Bylaw Enforcement Officer is usually an employee of a municipality or regional district that performs administrative, inspectional and regulatory work to enforce bylaws relating to property use, buildings, parking, business regulations, animal control, zoning, noise, signs, etc. Candidates can expect to earn $25+ per hour and enjoy working both inside and outside of the office.
Who Will Benefit from the Program?
Anyone who has completed Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1 and hoping to jump right into a career with minimal investment of time and money.
The Bylaw Enforcement Officer Level 2 course builds upon the skills taught in the Bylaw Enforcement Officer Level 1 course. It will refresh the student’s memory in proper note taking, report writing, and investigational procedures skills. This course will explore the challenges of dealing with people with mental health issues and the best practices for dealing in high risk situations. It will also discuss the cultural diversity, multiculturalism and the Canadian mosaic.
Students will learn how to use digital cameras to produce photographs for evidence. They will also learn the framework of local government, building bylaws and compliance, personal safety skills, credibility and cross-examination, the powers of arrest and stress management Students will also attend court and put court packages together and participate in a mock trial.
Upon completion of the Bylaw Enforcement Officer 2 course, the successful student will develop and demonstrate the ability to:
- Enhance the skills learned in Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1
- Complete concise, accurate notes in a notebook
- Interview witnesses/accused and complete a statement
- Apply active listening skills when taking a statement or diffuse a tense situation
- Apply the relevant law during their course of duty at a municipal level
- Learn how to deal with people with mental health issues
- Minimum 18 years of age or out of school for a minimum of 1 year
- In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”)
- Refresher – Notes and Notebooks
- Using Digital Cameras to Produce Photographs for Evidence
- Framework of Local Government
- Building Bylaw and Compliance
- Communication and Conflict Resolution Skills
- Personal Safety Skills
- Credibility and Cross Examination
- Powers of Arrest
- Tour of the Kelowna Courthouse and Court Attendance
- Swear an Information
- Putting Court Packages Together and Presenting a Case in a Mock Trial
- Traffic Direction and Control
- On campus delivery in Kelowna or Surrey
- Students must obtain 70% or higher on the quizzes and reviews and must also demonstrate to the instructor that the concepts have been understood.
Any supplies will be provided by the College.
Completed Bylaw Enforcement Officer 1 yet?
If you haven’t, please head here now, as you must take that course first.
Is Employment-Focused Training for a Career in Bylaw Enforcement Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Focus College’s training programs and career opportunities as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer are right for you, or you want to learn more about how you can transfer credits to one of our many international university partners, fill out the form on this page and we’ll get you some more information.
A helpful Focus College Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from determining the right career path for you to discussing financial aid options.
*Program length when completed in normal time.