Get the Skills for a Professional Career as a Security Specialist
2 Year** Hands-On Information Technology Training Program
You may have noticed that computer and internet security is a big deal these days. Think about Facebook and GDPR, credit-card fraud and the hacking of government or bank websites. A new type of hero is needed in the digital age – someone who can help protect information assets in computer systems and on the internet.
In this 2-year* full-time Information Technology: Advanced Security Specialist program from Focus College, you will learn how to serve on the front lines of defending confidential information by adding employment-focused knowledge to your analytic, problem-solving mind. It all starts right here.
Focus on your goal and we’ll get you the skills to make it a reality.
The Information Technology: Advanced Security Specialist (ITASS) will prepare graduates for entry into a wide range of positions. Upon successful completion of the program students will be able to land an entry level job in a computer networking field. Job titles may include:
- Information Systems Security Professional
- Network Security Architect
- Systems Operations Analyst
- LAN Manager
- Network Administrator
- Network Engineer
- Network Analyst
- Computer and Network Operator
- Mail Administrator
- System Analyst
- Network Forensic Inspector
- Security Administrator
- Network Technician
- and more!
Is a Career in IT Right for You? Find Out! Take the Focus College "IT Career Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your IT Career Training Readiness score now >>
Who Will Benefit from the Program?
Actually, most people have a lot to gain from taking this program. Former students returning to school, anyone who wants to pursue higher education, adult learners with families, working individuals who wish to enhance their career prospects, and people who wish to start their own businesses.
The Advanced Diploma in Information Technology: Advanced Security Specialist can provide entry to Bachelor’s or Master’s degree-level study. Visit this page for information on the institutions that will consider advanced entry with Focus College’s diploma qualifications.
The Information Technology: Advanced Security Specialist (ITASS) program is designed to prepare graduates to meet the Information Technology industry’s demands. It covers most popular industry platforms, such as the Microsoft and Linux operating systems, mail administration, security policies, procedures, and technical implementation of security standards, forensic inspection, ethical hacking, penetration testing, and more.
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Act as an Information Technology specialist
- Design, implement, maintain, and support the network infrastructure of the organization
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification OR relevant experience or mature students
- In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”)
- This program is offered at the Kelowna and Surrey campuses
- Students are required to maintain 80% attendance throughout the program
- Approximately 20–30 hours/week are required from students to be successful in this program
- In order to graduate, students must pass all units through the program with a grade of C or higher
Is Employment-Focused Training for a Career in IT Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Focus College’s training programs and career opportunities in Information Technology and Security Systems are right for you, or you want to learn more about how you can transfer credits to one of our many international university partners, fill out the form on this page and we’ll get you some more information.
A helpful Focus College Admissions Representative will be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from determining the right career path for you to discussing financial aid options.
*Program length when completed in normal time. **Program length following the accelerated track.