Travel & Tourism
Share the beauty of the world with others.
Become a catalyst for experiences, adventures, and unforgettable moments.
About the Program
An Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism from Focus College can get you prepared to jump into a career or enter a partner university.
The world has gotten smaller in recent years, which means more people are exploring all the world has to offer than ever before. And that means the Travel and Tourism industry will continue to expand. In this 2-year* full-time program from Focus College, you can prepare yourself for a wide variety of rewarding careers in this thriving industry.
If you have a passion for the exciting travel industry and for helping others discover and enjoy all the beautiful places and fascinating cultures there are to experience in the world, this may be your dream career!
The Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism will provide graduates with a wide variety of competencies. The specific aims of the program are to:
- Develop the skills and abilities required to start a career with a range of employers, such as travel agencies; tour operators; airline, coach, rail, and sea operations; and providers of ancillary services including car rental, insurance and foreign exchange
- Be fully prepared for employment in areas such as customer service and administration in the general field of commerce
- Develop student competencies to support their career aspirations
- Be prepared for progression to degree courses delivered by partner universities in different countries
- Develop skills for independent, life-long learning
- Develop and enhance transferable skills for employability and core skills
- Develop and enhance transferable skills in planning, organizing, critical and evaluative thinking and will be able to investigate issues and problems relating to travel, tourism, and business in depth
- Develop intra/interpersonal skills relevant to a range of positions and levels in the travel and tourism industry
- Develop communication and presentation skills
- Be able to adopt an innovative and creative approach to their work and be able to respond quickly to challenges posed by changes in the travel and tourism environment
- Develop the ability to work flexibly and cooperatively with others
This program has been approved by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training.
The Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism will prepare candidates for entry into a wide range of positions. Respondents to employer consultation named the following as posts for which Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism grads would typically be recruited:
- Travel Agent or Consultant
- Airline Service Agent
- Tour Operator
- Travel Information Agent
- Travel Specialist
- Visitor Information Counsellor
- Ticket Agent
- Reservation Agent
- Guest Services Agent/Representative
- Conference/Event Planner
- Administrative Assistant
- Booking Agent
- And More!
Plus, graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism Diploma program will be able to pursue further studies in several specialist areas, such as Tourism Destination Development, Tourism Management, or Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Tourism.
Who Will Benefit?
Most people have a lot to gain from taking this program. Former students returning to school, anyone who wants to pursue higher education, adult learners with families, working individuals who wish to enhance their career prospects, and people who wish to start their own businesses.
Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent Canadian qualification OR relevant experience or mature students
In the case of students from non-English-speaking countries/territories, students will have to demonstrate their English proficiency at a minimum IELTS Band level of 6.0 or equivalent. (In a case where a prospective student has no proof of English proficiency or an English proficiency level below IELTS Band 6.0, that student will be required to take the Focus College ESL “Crash Course”)
The Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism can provide advanced entry to bachelor’s or master’s degree-level study.
This program is offered at the Kelowna and Surrey campuses. Students are required to maintain 80% attendance throughout the program. Approximately 10-15 hours/week is required from students to be successful in this program. In order to graduate, students must pass all units through the program with a grade of C or higher